Without a gas oven, it’s hard to make delicious culinary delights. When it breaks down, it is necessary to urgently fix the technique, but not many people know how to do it at home on their own.
This article tells in detail about the design of this technique, on what signs to determine the malfunction, what can be breakdowns, and most importantly – how to carry out repairs by yourself, plus expert advice and recommendations for prevention.
Design and construction of the gas oven
All gas ovens are constructed in approximately the same way. Under the countertop of the oven, you can see the following structural elements:
- The burners. They are attached to the stove with strong bolts. In this case, each burner is decomposed into component parts – the flame-spreader, injector and covers. To have access to them, you need to detach the copper or steel pipe that is connected to the base of the burners. This will require a wrench for 13.
- Candles. Located on the perimeter of each burner. One is for ignition, and the other is used as a thermocouple. They don’t look alike, so it’s easy to find the right candle. The high-voltage candles are covered by a ceramic caftan.
- Collector. This is a thick tube from which each burner is wired. If the flame goes out at one of them, the others will continue to work.
- The distribution armature. Each ignition electrode is connected to single high voltage wires.
- The capacitor, thyristor, diode and fuses. These parts are located inside the stove. They work when the charge needs to be formed by a burst of energy from the candle.
The main signs of malfunction
If the gas oven has stopped working, it is necessary to perform a basic diagnosis of the gas control. First open the top cover and burner or burner table. To do this, unscrew and remove the two side covers on both sides.
Visible signs of malfunction are as follows:
- There is gas flow, but the flame does not appear with the standard procedure of pushing the button;
- The food heats unevenly: it may burn on the edges and be cold in the center, or vice versa;
- The oven does not close or the door does not press properly against the base, it may not lock all the way in;
- Immediately after ignition, the fire slowly goes out;
- It becomes impossible to regulate the heat in the oven;
- As long as the knob is held, the gas cannot extinguish on its own;
- The oven smokes and the fire emits a yellow-red glow;
- The flames coming from the burners are of different heights;
- The opening of the oven door is strained, as if it is being held inside;
- The oven gets very hot when operating lightly.
If one or more of these signs occur, it is necessary to inspect the equipment and identify the malfunction. Gas is a dangerous thing, so if you are not confident in your abilities, it is better to call a gas oven repair technician at home.
For help with oven repair in Brooklyn, go to https://bestserviceappliancerepair.com.
Reduction of fuel in the gas pipeline
The fuel supply in the gas line may be weak or completely stopped due to a drop in pressure. The intensity of the fire decreases several times, and the flame sensor does not receive the appropriate signal. The gas control cuts off the gas supply. The problem is likely to occur in many systems that have been connected independently without the help of a specialist. If the pressure is low, air circulation is impaired, resulting in stagnant inert gas in the system.
In centralized networks, the problem occurs less frequently, as utilities are required to monitor the condition of the working system. Inspections in such houses occur regularly at intervals of several times a year. If, on the other hand, cylinder gas is used in apartments with a centrally equipped network, it can run out unnoticed. This causes malfunctions of the gas oven. In this case, it is enough to refill the cylinder or even replace it with a new one.
If the oven burner goes out for more than 15 seconds, reignite it after ventilating the room to avoid a build-up of gas and to prevent a possible explosion. With the windows open, the ignition interval should not be too short anyway. The second attempt must take place at least two minutes after the previous attempt.
The burners are clogged
The burner’s gas supply holes can become clogged with soot. The fuel stops flowing or the fuel flow is insufficient to evenly ignite the burner. At the location of the temperature sensor, the gas may be fed in small portions that are insufficient for cooking.
The system in this case will shut off the gas after releasing the knob because it recognizes the oven has gone out and executes the corresponding command. Remove the burner and clean the gas supply holes.
Particular attention should be paid to those openings where the fire is poorly seeping or no flames can be seen from these openings at all.
Lack of oxygen
If the oxygen supply is insufficient, the machine may stop supplying gas at all. This is a serious problem that seems insignificant at first glance. But the lack of oxygen leads to an unexpected fire. It is necessary to open the door of the oven. A supply of fresh air will help bring oxygen to the burner and allow it to ignite. If this does not help, then the pipes are seriously clogged. It is necessary to clean all parts of the stove.
It doesn’t hold the regulator
When you turn the knob, there may be a system failure and the heater will not turn on.
- To be sure that the gas oven is malfunctioning due to the regulator not holding, you must try to light the fire without it. In doing so, the handle is carefully dismantled.
- Small components are put in one place, so that they can be easily put in their places later.
- Using pliers, lightly press and turn the stem of the valve.
- When the gas is applied, try to ignite. If it works, then the problem is in the regulator and should be fixed.
How to fix it: step by step instructions
Depending on the problem encountered, one or another instruction is used:
- Repair the regulator with your own hands begins with the shutting off of the gas supply. Then clean the valves (remove soot, grease and dirt from them, clean the spring). Carefully wipe the plug with a soft sponge. Then it is treated with graphite grease, but the holes in it are not touched. To remove grease from the stem use a knife. The handle is assembled in a similar sequence, but in the opposite direction.
- The gas oven can not work properly without a tightly fitting door. To fix it, you need to unscrew the fastening screws that are attached to the stove. After loosening them well, the door is swung several times in different directions until it finally settles on the hinges.
- If there is a gas leak and a strong smell of burning, the fuel supply must be cut off. Cover the place of the leak with soapy foam, as well as all gas tube connections inside and outside the oven. In the place where the fuel will escape, bubbles appear. All knobs, taps and controls are checked. After removing the side panel, prevent leaks in the same way.
- If the burner nozzle is clogged it is replaced or cleaned. Incorrect operation of the thermostat leads to a decrease in the heating level. The decrease is detected by a temperature sensor, which is installed in each stove system. Emergency gas shutoff is due to faulty nozzle valves.
- If voltage is available, it may not be sufficient to turn on the system. In this case, the thermocouple may be in working order, but far from the power supply. In this case it is necessary to remove this part and screw it to a closer distance.
- If the gas valve is jammed, it is necessary to check the lubrication. Lack of it will cause the entire system to malfunction. The turning mechanism without proper impregnation will constantly be clogged with small particles. To clean the parts, wipe them well and put them back in place with a lubricant beforehand.
As a control after completing the work, place an ordinary sheet of paper between the gasket and the edge of the oven. It should be tightly clamped when closing the door. If it does not, the whole procedure should be repeated.
Tips from the experts
Experts in repairing gas ovens advise to pay attention to these points:
- Some models of gas ovens have plastic tap handles, put on the stem by means of a metal plate that is inserted into the groove. Handles as use begins to loosen, the plate flies out and just lost. The problem can be solved. You need to take a metal canning lid and cut a matching plate on it. By inserting the part into the groove on the handle, you can avoid such a delicate problem.
- Fire extinguishing is not only due to a lack of gas or a lack of oxygen supply. The problem may be that the iron part, which is near the burner, gets hot and causes a current. It holds the magnetic valve in its working position and can prevent the gas flow to the burner. The problem is solved with sandpaper: the parts are cleaned with it.
- If there is a misalignment in the gas burner, it is worth checking its correct installation. If the problem arose after washing, then the installation is incorrect. You need to remove the part and reinstall it. If the second attempt fails, it is better to call a master. In rare cases, the problem lies in defective products, you need to replace them completely. Although even this case should be confirmed by a master.
- To make the fire in the oven stronger, because it began to burn weakly or goes out at the wrong moment, switch to blue fuel with lower pressure: in this case it is necessary to replace the burner nozzle (to a wider nozzle of the nozzle) and adjust the oven thermostat.
If the procedure did not help, the gas stove also does not work, you need to change the thermocouple.
Cleaning and prevention
- To prolong the life of the gas oven and prevent it from breaking, regular preventive maintenance must be performed.
- Do not ignore the instructions for use of the oven, it is important to follow them clearly. Foods must be cooked in accordance with the recommended temperatures.
- It is important to know the construction of the gas oven components, adhere to the instructions on washing and lubricating the connecting elements.
- After cooking, clean the walls and the bottom of the oven from cinders. All dirt and food debris must be removed immediately.
- Observe safety precautions when using a gas oven. Do not leave the stove unattended and do not make the ignition modes so large that they are not described in the instructions.
- To ensure that the oven’s internal parts remain in one piece and do not oxidize, you should dry or wipe them well after washing the oven.
- To wash, use only quality household chemicals, as cheap products will ruin the internal coating: they can make the seal rigid, destroy the enamel or scratch the door glass.
Ovens are considered reliable appliances. If the appliance breaks down, you don’t always need the help of a gas oven repairman. Some malfunctions can be repaired by yourself.